Life is hard. That’s a fact that everyone can accept, especially nowadays. But let me tell you, life gets a lot harder when you don’t take care of yourself. There’s really not much to it. And everyone takes care of themselves in different ways. So, today I thought I’d share some things that help make life easier, if only for a bit.
1. Eat breakfast. Every day. No exceptions.
2. Understand that sometimes, just getting out of bed is enough.
3. Wake up early to watch the sunrise sometimes.
4. Get enough sleep. Whatever it is that can’t possibly wait until tomorrow, actually probably can.
5. Write something down every day, even if it’s just what you had for breakfast. Strive to fill a page. Then a book. Fill volumes with what you have to say; it’s important.
6. Enjoy the small things: a baby’s laughter, sunshine on your skin, a warm mug of tea on a rainy day.
7. Travel often enough to understand that what you’re running from can’t be pinned down geographically.
8. Read a book you loved as a child and understand all the ways you’ve changed and grown over the years. Let the familiar words fill a void you didn’t even know you had.
9. Chat with people around you. You never know who you might meet in a coffee shop.
10. Dance in your underwear once in a while.
11. Do what you want. Dye your hair. Get something pierced. Things are not usually as permanent as they seem.
12. If you need a day off, take it. The consequences will not be as catastrophic as they may seem. Take some time, lay in bed, and forget everything that is causing you stress. It will be there tomorrow, and you can deal with it then.
13. Re-connect with old friends, even if it’s just to remind yourself why you lost touch in the first place.
14. Go an entire day without plugging into your headphones every chance you get. Listen to the conversations around you on the city bus, in line at Starbucks, waiting for your classes. Human interaction is a wonderful thing sometimes; you don’t always have to tune it out.
15. Challenge yourself to leave the house without looking in the mirror, and know that you look fantastic no matter what.
16. Sing at the top of your lungs in a traffic jam, and forget to care whether or not the other drivers can hear you.
17. Spend a day helping those who need you.
18. Cook a gourmet meal just for yourself.
19. Wear lipstick that’s too dark.
20. Buy the shoes you’ve been eyeing for weeks, and learn to live off ramen until your next paycheck. You won’t regret either.
21. Most of all, make every second count, even the quiet ones, because you will never be as young as you are this second, but this is as old as you’ve ever been. Understand the difference, and learn to appreciate both. The only constant in life is the passage of time, but it’s what you do in between that really matters.